Homeopathy at Home: Top Remedies for the Natural Medicine Cabinet
Homeopathy is an excellent choice for the home medicine cabinet as the remedies tend to work fast to trigger the body’s natural ability to heal itself, quickly allaying pain and inflammation, and even allaying states of panic and anxiety. In this introductory webinar on using homeopathic remedies at home, I’ve chosen my top 12 remedies, with an honourable mention for Calendula, which I use more as a herb than in potency.
In a nutshell, my top remedies begin with what to do for injuries:
1. Arnica: #1 remedy of course, especially for any soft tissue damage, especially bruising, swelling and pain.
2. Hypericum: Excellent choice for injuries to the nerves for both pain and repair.
3. Cantharis: Pick this one for burns to prevent blistering or later, to relieve some of the pain and help recovery.
If you suffer from symptoms of influenza or influenza-like illness:
4. Bryonia is the top choice when aching is the primary symptom–sore muscles, headaches worse least movement. The person wants to lie still and just be left alone.
5. Gelsemium is a better bet if instead exhaustion is the main focus–there may be aching and chills, but the person feels very tired and just sleeps.
For digestive upset, here are my top two remedies:
6. Arsenicum album: is the #1 remedy for symptoms of food poisoning, when nausea, vomiting even diarrhea, and restlessness develop. Symptoms tend to be worse at night, pains are burning and yet there is a desire for warm drinks.
7. Nux vomica: for stomach upset from overwork with exhaustion and irritability. Can be used for jet lag, hangovers or when poor food choices cause suffering.
For emotional upset, these are winners:
8.Aconite: is a top choice for panic if palpitations, anxiety and restlessness have set in and you feel like death is near.
9.Ignatia: is better if acute grief or shock causes emotions to be stuck, and there’s a lump in the throat but you either can’t cry or can’t stop crying.
The mineral salt trio is in low potency, so these work better when symptoms are mild and general.
10. Ferr phos 6x: for the beginning of a cold, sore throat or fever when symptoms are not clear yet.
11. Kali phos 6x: for exhaustion from worry or overwork when the nervous system is so on edge you can’t sleep.
12. Mag phos 6x: the homeopathic pain reliever for any type of cramping muscle, including stomach/intestinal cramps, menstrual cramps, or any aching muscle.
Finally, an honourable mention goes to a miraculous little herb:
13. Calendula: while this remedy can be used in potency (30ch), I tend to use it most as an herb in tincture form. I recommend diluting it 10 drops to 1/4 cup of water to work miracles on cuts and scrapes, burns or any open wound or skin rash as a healing agent. It’s such a great addition to the medicine cabinet, I couldn’t leave it out!
If you’d like to know more about these remedies, how to take them or learn about the research behind homeopathy, check out the webinar–or join my classes under events.